Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The Asparagus Stank Factor

I've been trying something new with my daily salad: adding asparagus. It's acutally quite delicious--I steam it for a few minutes, salt it, and throw it on top of a heap of spring mix, cucumbers, fat-free cheddar cheese, a diced hard boiled egg, and a mountain of honey mustard dressing. The asparagus lends a yummy flavor to it all. But I hate the after effect.

Stinky pee.

What's frightening is that I'm only eating a few stalks, so it really shouldn't have quite such a dramatic impact on my body. But it does, every time. And it led me to look for the reason--what causes the stinky pee?

Apparently it's a chemical that your body produces while breaking down. Other places the same stanky chemical can be found? Rotten eggs. Cabbage. Paper mills. The stuff great smells are made of.

The article also says that the chemical can be a narcotic in high concentrations. So here's my question: is it a narcotic in your body, or in your pee? (i.e., would you have to drink the stuff or do you automatically experience the narcotic after eating asparagus?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home