Thursday, October 21, 2004

Trip down memory lane

When I was growing up, I had a HUGE crush on one of the neighbor boys. I pined over him, secretly trying to find ways to get him to notice me. I befriended his older sister. I tried to hide with him when we played neighborhood games of kick-the-can. I sat near him on the bus.

I think in his own way, he returned my adoration of him. He showed it whenever he made fun of my crooked buck teeth. I felt it whenever he ridiculed me in front of the other kids on the bus. I could sense his devotion when he chased me around his yard brandishing a BB gun.

I hadn't thought about my young love in years.

Until... I saw a guy in our office, sporting my young neighbor's haircut, circa 1987. You know what I'm talking about, spiky on the top, closely cut sides, long flowing mullet in the back...

Ah, fond, fond memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home