Thursday, December 30, 2004

Making new friends

I made a new friend today.

Well, actually, it's more that he was determined to make me his new friend.

I was sitting at the bus stop this morning, minding my own business, reading the paper and trying to keep my gigundous suitcase from toppling over onto the sidewalk. I saw him coming from the corner of my eye before he spoke, but I had no where to go. I was stuck.

He sauntered up from the dry cleaner's door behind me, lit cigarette dangling from his mouth. "Bus hasn't come yet?" he said in his thick, Mongolian (I learned a few minutes later) accent. When I politely said that no, I was still waiting, and went back to reading my paper, he didn't seem to take the hint.

After introducing himself, and then telling me that he had only been working for the dry cleaners behind us for about four months, he suggested he could give me his email address and I could write him sometime. "No thank you," I said, smiling at him. Again, he offered, and again, I declined, silently begging the bus to hurry up and get to the stop. When we finally saw it in the distance, he relented, heading back to his retreat on the stoop of the dry cleaner's.

"I'll see you around," he said as I boarded the bus.

I think I need a new bus stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home