Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Toaster=Hot, who knew?

Yesterday, one of my vendors at work stopped by to drop off a holiday gift. It was a giant, frozen pastry ring. Clearly not something I could eat on my own (OK, clearly not something I SHOULD eat on my own), I decided today to heat it up and share it with my department.

We have a toaster oven in our office kitchen, and though it is relatively new, it never seems to do an adequate job of heating or toasting anything. I turned the temperature up as high as it would go and threw the pastry inside, hoping it wouldn't take too long to defrost.

Fifteen minutes later, I checked on the pastry. I reached into the toaster to feel the crust (which was still cold). To get a better grip and feel the bottom, I lifted up one of the pastries, accidentally bumping the back of my hand on the roof of the toaster. Although it didn't hurt, I heard a faint "ssszzzzz" and immediately smelled the tell-tale burned flesh smell.

I yanked my hand out and looked down at my fingers. A white crusty substance was on two of them. What was in the toaster? I wondered. I went to brush the crust off, only realizing then that it was actually what was left of the top layer of skin on my fingers.

Still in no pain whatsoever, I calmly walked to the sink and doused my fingers in cold water. Strange. I found a band-aid and covered up the raw spot, which finally had begun to sting a bit. The smell, unfortunately, has stayed with me.

Don't you think that would justify having an early morning eggnog cocktail?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home