Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Autobiography

If they made a movie about your life, what would be on the soundtrack?

As someone who has spent a lot of time in the car, it's a question I've thought about often. Driving back and forth to and from Ohio with nothing but the dog in the backseat and the tunes on my stereo to keep me company, each new catchy ditty I hear makes it onto my mental list.

A couple of years ago, YouTwo and I were talking about our soundtracks. A discerning audiophile, YouTwo gave me a copy of a CD he had made of his own favorite songs (outside of those made by Bono and the gang, of course). Inspired, I finally decided to create my own soundtrack.

But I had one problem: I couldn't put my finger on a few "favorite" songs.

I decided instead to compile a disc of those songs that were memorable to me--either because of their connection to a person from my life or a situation. I called it "Autobiography."
Autobiography

1. Under Pressure, Queen with David Bowie
2. Callin' Baton Rouge, Garth Brooks
3. The Freshman, The Verve Pipe
4. Dancing Queen, Abba
5. Girls, The Beastie Boys
6. Angel, Sarah McLaughlin
7. Venus 55, Red Wanting Blue
8. Motives
9. Carolina In My Mind, James Taylor
10. Say Goodbye, The Dave Matthews Band
11. Jumper, Third Eye Blind
12. Laid, James
13. She's Got a Way, Billy Joel
14. She's the One, World Party
15. Salisbury Hill, Peter Gabriel
16. Lie in our Graves, The Dave Matthews Band
Random mix, no? But the significance is not in the songs themselves, per se, but in the stories behind each song. An elaborate tale; a beloved memory; a sorrowful moment. Each represents something that has made an impact on my life.

I tell you this because I'm going to tell those stories here.

I won't be able to do it in consecutive days and maybe not even in consecutive posts, especially because I want to give each "song" the attention it deserves. But I will get to them all, and in order.

I hope you enjoy them. I know I'll enjoy writing them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home