Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Goody bag goodness

I love going to the dentist. I know, it's a freakish thing to love.

My father, who has endured more than his share of suffering at the hands of various dentists, loathes the dentist. Every time he goes, it's a painful, miserable experience. My mother, on the other hand, has a gorgeous mouth of glistening, white teeth. I think she's had one cavity her entire life (she's over 50). Guess whose mouth of pearlies I've got?

I love going to the dentist because, among other reasons, I am guaranteed to get compliments. (Although they're really compliments for my orthodontist; though he did a wonderful job, I did NOT love visits there.)

I also love the feeling of teeth that are completely free of crud. No tartar, no buildup... They feel so slick when you run your tongue over them. They're glossy and smooth. They may not be any whiter from the cleaning alone, but damn it, they FEEL whiter. Brighter.

But most of all, I love the dentist because of the goody bags you get. Still sitting in the chair, my hygienist asked me if I could use some new supplies. Feeling like a 10-year-old girl again, I nodded my head eagerly.

When I was little, you got a toothbrush, maybe some toothpaste, and a sugar free lollipop. As an adult, I get a toothbrush, dental floss (Glide that doesn't catch in my retainer), toothpaste, sometimes even coupons. Today I even got free samples for those new finger toothbrushy things. I can't wait to try them.

After the clean feeling in my mouth wears off, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home