Thursday, January 27, 2005

So Glad It Wasn't Me

I witnessed the most uncomfortable chance encounter on the metro on my way to work... and the worst part was it could happen to any singleton.

This guy in his 30s gets on the crowded train car with me at
Courthouse and moves toward the nearest open space. As the doors close, I see the woman he's standing next to look up at him and say something along the lines of "Oh, Hi, I haven't seen you in a while"...

He looks mildly alarmed and with a slightly strickens look
he says "Oh hi, where are you metroing to?" They stumble through some stilted small talk about their holidays (mind you, it's late January).

Shortly before they reach her stop (smooth move on the guy's part to get this info in advance) the guy says "Uh, I'm really sorry I couldn't go to your office holiday party with you" The girl turns red and begins stammering something about "No problem, you were busy, I understand..."

As best as I (and the rest of the train patrons standing nearby) can gather, they went out a few times, but when she asked him to the holiday party he said no... and they clearly haven't seen each other since. Unfortunately the train reached her stop before we got all the imtimate details about why it didn't work out.

That is a nighmare... I never want to have some guy apologizing for blowing me off in front of a trainful of strangers... especially at
9:00 am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home