Saturday, February 26, 2005

Banned for Life

If you live in the DC area, and you've ever had to take a cab from Virginia, you know that ALL the cab companies are shady. "10 minutes," they tell you when you call the dispatch, and 40 minutes later you're not only pissed, you're late to get wherever you're going.

So when Red Top Cab told me tonight they would be 30 to 40 minutes, I believed them. And I took a defensive step: I called another company, fully expecting to cancel for the cab that didn't arrive first.

Taking me by surprise, Red Top showed up within 15 minutes. Unfortunately, Blue Top showed up 30 seconds later, causing a rather awkward moment for me. I did the only thing I could do--blamed it on Boog.

"I'm sorry," I pleaded to the Blue Top driver. "My roommate and I both called a cab but didn't realize it," I said. "I'm so sorry." Mr. Cab Driver was not the forgiving type, and since he didn't really speak English very well, I don't even think he understood my story.

"I drove 5 miles," he insisted angrily. He shook his fist. He yelled. But we got in the red cab anyway. I felt bad, but some sushi and a few drinks helped erase my guilt.

Until I got home.

On my answering machine was a very angry message from the dispatcher, who said my cab was outside, and that he understood a red cab was there also. He said that I could not call two cabs and then just take the first that gets there; the drivers pay their own gas, it's inconvenient for them, etc. He then said if I got into the red cab, that no one on his shift would ever send me a cab again.

How's that for a threat? I have effectively been banned from taking Blue Top Cab. I know something like this shouldn't be a big deal, but I feel really, really bad. That nasty phone message just brought down my entire night.

And the pisser of it is that of the cab companies, Blue Top really is the best.

Maybe I can use my neighbor's address instead?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home