Monday, February 07, 2005

Monkey-ing Around

My dad sent me an email this morning about the Superbowl ads that brought back a memory I'd totally blocked out - but gave my parents a whole new visual of their only daughter.

When I first graduated from college I got a job with a temp agency so I could make some money while I waited for my Achilles to heal. At this time my plan was to move to DC as soon as I was back walking, so I wasn't even looking for a full time job. I had visions of going to work in some professional office where I answered the phones and flirted with cute business men.

The agency I went to was in suburban Chicago and (unbeknownst to me) primarily dealt with blue collar staffing - factories and the like. They were pretty excited to have a college graduate walk in and immediately hired me to do temp work in their office rather than staffing me out.

Right away I disliked the job - most of the full time employees were skirting by doing the bare minimum, and went to great pains to make sure I was just as unproductive. I'm as happy as the next guy to get paid for not working hard, but the work was painfully boring - imagine spending 8 hours a day alphabetizing.

I came home and told my family about my big new job and commented that I thought they could train chimps to do it, so from that day forward they referred to temping as my chimp job.

After last night's careerbuilder.com ads, my dad says he now has a mental image to go with my first post-graduate job. Somehow though, the magic of TV managed to make a chimp job look much more fun than the reality!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home