Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Flail

I'm not sure if it's the weather or not, but something has brought out the crazies in full force.

Witness my drive in to work this morning. Now, I only drive to work once a week (so that I can drive to tutoring after work). The rest of the time, I am an ordinary pedestrian commuter. I jaywalk at lights and get mad when cars almost run me over, just like everyone else. As an infrequent driver, I try (emphasis on the try part) to be aware of the pedestrians around me. I should also add that since Boog has joined me on those once-a-week drives, my stress level has decreased significantly. Having a passenger really helps ease your aggressive driving behaviors, and I tend to be more conscious of the fact that running people over would be bad.

Driving up 20th Street at about 8 a.m., I had a green light to turn right in front of the metro. I inched my car out, since I wanted to make sure the car turing left wouldn't cut me off from getting into the left lane.

As I pulled up near the crosswalk, a woman--who was just stepping off the curb, nowhere even NEAR my bumper--began flailing her arms wildly at me, as though she were caught in a wild stampede and trying vainly to get the attention of the charging rhino. I think she was trying to alert me that she had the right-of-way, but it was so over the top that it completely threw me.

Baffled, I looked at her (my car already stopped) and threw my own hands up into the air and shot her a look of, "What, are you completely nuts??" At which point, I think she realized that she must've looked absurd, because she put her arms down and smiled sheepishly.

Boog and I immediately erupted into laughter.

But she's not the only one. Since that early morning incident I have witnessed at least three other demonstrations of crazy. Some involving cars, others, just crazy people.

I'm telling you, this weather makes people bonkers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home