Monday, March 28, 2005

Off to join the circus

My parents and I this weekend did something I haven't done since I was 8 years old--we went to the circus.

It was playing here in town and I thought, "What the hell, why not." So I dragged the three of us over to the MCI center. We sat in our seats, surrounded by thousands of toddlers and young children.

As we watched the performances--the dog, horse and elephant trainers; the clowns; the irritating "comedic magician"; the trapeze artists; even the far-too-excited-to-be-real ringmaster--and all I could think about was how these people ended up in the circus.

Is joining the circus something you plan to do, going to clown college or similar training programs? Or is it something you just end up in? I mean, is the ringmaster a guy who really wanted to be on Broadway, but he didn't make it and so his fall back was Ringling Brothers? I'm not really sure how these things work.

And how exactly do you get hired at the circus? Do they have an HR department, do interview training? If you're the woman who acts like a human pretzel, do you just do your thing for the show producers and bam! you're hired?

Interestingly, if you go to the circus main website, you'll find a small link to Feld Entertainment. These are the same folks who've brought us Disney on Ice year after year--in addition to the Circus extravaganza. A quick trip to their "openings" shows that, although no performing positions are listed, they DO need a few animal care handlers. I like animals, so should I run off to join the circus?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home