Thursday, June 16, 2005

Muted

I finally got my ass in gear and went to see the new Star Wars movie last night. Though I haven't been a huge fan of the new trilogy series, it wasn't bad--the story felt a little stilted and some of the acting was still not so great, but that's not so different from the original movies, right?

Anyway, I was enjoying it well enough, and we were progressing rapidly to the climax of the movie, where Padme confronts Anakin about what's happening and then Obi Wan and Anakin start fighting. And just as Obi Wan appears... silence. The sound cut completely out.

There were only a handful of us in the theater, and several people yelled to the nonexistant person in the booth. Finally, after a painful attempt at lip-reading, a few angry patrons charged to the aisles to get someone to fix the problem. The sound came back on after about five minutes, only to keep blanking out at the most important dialogue moments, almost like someone was gleefully hitting the mute button on the remote.

So now I'm stuck. I didn't like the movie enough to go see it again (even though the theater gave us free passes), but I feel really cheated that I don't know what Obi Wan said to Anakin, or what Anakin said when he burst into flames, or what Padme's last words were. I guess I'm going to have to rent the damn DVD when it comes out next year... Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home