Friday, July 08, 2005

Beefy

So tonight, I'm heading off to Fado--an adorable little Irish pub downtown--for drinks. And while Fado is often exciting because it's a post-DC United game mingling venue where you can often catch a glimpse of the team throwing a few back, it's not the crowd I'm looking forward to.

It's the burgers.

The mini-cheeseburgers, to be precise.

I'm not sure what started the craze (and DCist called attention to it as far back as Dec. 04) but the mini-cheeseburger is everywhere in town. One of the newer joints in Arlington, Tallulah, has a pretty decent small cheeseburger, though I wouldn't call it mini. And a visit to the newly-opened Union Pub last night found a basket of baby burgers on the menu. DCist even sent up a tribute with a do-it-yourself recipe. But no one, in my opinion, even comes close to Fado.

Maybe it's because Fado's little burgers are reminiscent of the famed White Castle fare that I used to inhale as a kid. In fact, I remember when I discovered they sold them frozen at the grocery store and had a hard time limiting the number I consumed in one sitting. I think it's the combination of the greasy beef, the slightly crusty toasted bread, and smattering of roasted onions that make them so tasty delicious.

I can already taste it now... mmmmmm...

So if you know of a place that can top Fado, pass it along. Maybe before I leave this summer, I can embark on a tour of the mini-burger all across town. Now there's a farewell activity for ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home