Monday, September 26, 2005

It's not the heat...

Damn, how could I FORGET how freaking humid it is here in the Midwest?

And it's certainly not the heat, because today the temperature was barely supposed to clear 68. But still, when I walked the dog, I was sweating so profusely that you would have thought I walked her in a sauna.

I had dinner last night with a friend of Trix's and asked her about the humidity--whether it was unseasonable. She looked at me curiously and shrugged. "I guess I don't notice it anymore," she said as I wiped a sheen of sweat from my forehead.

It's possible I'm hallucinating, of course, but I don't remember it being so sticky back in DC. On 90 degree days in July and August, sure, humidity was thick. But here, the amount of humidity has no relation to the temperature. It's just always there.

Those "warm days, cool nights" OtherGus promised me are materializing, but I still end up sweating through my sheets anyway. I don't even have a blanket on them yet.

My hair is having a field day as well, because it's not the kind of beachy humidity that gives you shining, glowing curls--but rather the kind of balminess that creates halo fuzz on my head. Nothing seems to help. Wearing it curly only encourages hair rebellion. Wearing it straight is a direct challenge to nature. I can't win.

The humidity also could have something to do with the high number of rainy, gross days we've had. I think it's been overcast and yucky for about four days in a row, and of course that means it's humid. But still, it's almost October, and I'm craving crisp, fall days.

Tell me you're not having them back in DC...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home