Thursday, September 22, 2005

Nothing in particular

I was all set to do a semi-funny/absurd/commentary about random things type post here tonight, but by the time I finally sat down at the computer, I just wasn't feeling funny. So I suppose instead I can give you an update about how things are going--an entry that can contradict the alarming tone in my last post.

I'll say this: things are going much better.

I started class on Tuesday, and aside from some miscellaneous, unfortunate day's events that were not directly related to school, it went swimmingly. Both classes were research-related, and I found myself completely engrossed in the topic. Even though one is statistics, I honestly think it will be interesting. I left the classroom excited (I consider this a good sign).

Then today I had the last two classes, both of which are more traditional business classes (marketing and finance). Again, the content seems very interesting, and I am especially into the way the program approaches business problems--very customer-focused. I think I will learn a lot over the next 15 months.

Do I think it will be hard? Yeah, I'm going to have to work a lot. Many of these concepts are very new to me, as I never had any sort of formal business training or classes before. But my interest level is high enough that a few extra hours with the books might not bother me so much as it might have before.

Other than school, things are also going well. I know my way around pretty well; thanks to good friends back in DC, I've met or am in the process of meeting some very cool non-grad school folks; I've been in touch with family in the area; and I feel like I'm getting myself in order. I've had a lot of time outdoors and with the dog, which always seems to put me in a good mood. I'm happiest when I'm out with her, walking up and down the very pretty streets of Evanston and taking in all the sights and people around me.

And of course, I dig being close to the lake. I'm not sure how much I'll love it once the winter snow and wind hit, but right now it's a beautiful walk over there.

So... if you read the last entry and were worried for my sanity, don't. I'm doing OK. I still miss DC, but I'm definitely getting on OK out here, too. But happy hours aren't the same (OK, I'm so poor they're nonexistant) so drink a beer for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home