Friday, September 16, 2005

Officially crapping my pants

Today I went to orientation. I learned these things:

I can officially count on having no life for the next 9 to 15 months.
Every beer I buy from here on out will have interest attached to it.
I shouldn't care about my grades--except I need to maintain a 3.0 GPA to graduate.
Our classes, though sometimes covering the same content, are more difficult and intense than Kellogg courses.

Hm.

So that portion of the day definitely did not inspire confidence in my decision to cut and run back to grad school. However, everyone's discussion of the program did.

For the first time in my life, I am taking on schooling because I genuinely want to learn something. I'm not here because I have to be, or I really should be, or because I have to use it as a means to an end. OK, do I expect to have a higher paying, more prestigious position when I finish? Yes. But truly, that is not my main motivation for being here. I am excited about the content of the curriculum. As the faculty began talking a little about the various courses we will take, I was extremely engaged, and in all of them--not just the PR-specific stuff.

I feel like I am surrounded by professors who are in touch with the industry and more interested in teaching practical applications than useless theories. My new colleagues and fellow students are a distinguished class made up of mostly professionals who are enthusiastic about communications and marketing. I suppose it's a bit like going to a specialized summer camp where everyone is excited to be there.

Of course, that doesn't make the nerves subside any, and I'm fighting that niggling little voice in the back of my head. I'm betting you know that voice, the one that likes to spread doubt and negativity. I suppose I just need to tell it to shut the hell up and get to work.

And maybe put on a fresh pair of drawers in the meantime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home