Sunday, October 30, 2005

Reaching new lows

No one has ever accused me of being a good cook. I try, of course, and I can follow a recipe with the best of them, but much like my gardening abilities, good intentions alone never seem to do the trick. "Edible" is the most likely adjective to describe anything I make.

I'm such a disaster in the kitchen that I often opt to "cook" by reheating--leftovers, frozen dinners, anything that doesn't require me to use any sort of dangerous appliance.

This morning, however, I woke up early thanks to the wonders of the fall time change. And with all that extra time, I decided I needed PANCAKES. And not just any pancakes, I needed pancakes with strawberry syrup and strawberries.

I headed on over to the grocery store and bought all the necessary ingredients. Since I am living on the student budget, I went for the cheapest pancake mix I could find--Krusteaz buttermilk mix for $1.50. I found a bottle of Safeway brand strawberry syrup. I bought strawerries.

Back in my large, lovely double-oven, electric stove island kitchen, I mixed up the ingredients. Since we don't have a griddle, I figured I ought to warm up a pan so that the cakes would cook right away. I flopped a teflon pan onto the stove and threw the thing on high.

A few minutes later, the pan smelled a little funny. I was worried that heating it without food would hurt the pan, so I dribbled a little oil into the bottom. Immediately, it began to smoke. Since my roommate was still sleeping, I thought setting off the fire alarm would be bad, so I grabbed the pan's handle and lifted it off the stove so it could cool down.

In the pan's place, right where the ELECTRIC burner is, a sudden and rather large puff of flame burst to life.

I was so shocked that I simply froze. I think I might have screamed, too. Fortunately, it quickly burned itself out (and without taking any of my hair with it, thank God) and the stove appeared to return to normal. I was able to put the pan back down and successful cook (OK, burn) the pancakes, but STILL.

Who sets an electric stove on fire??

Clearly, I have issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home