Wednesday, January 25, 2006

It's a Small World After All

We all know DC is a small town and you have to be careful, because everyone you meet is separated from you by 2 degrees, at best. I re-learned this lesson in a big way on Saturday night and I’ll tell you the story as a cautionary tale.

I went to the birthday party of a new-ish friend on Saturday at a local bar. My old co-worker (you’ll soon see why I am not using her name) joined me for the b-day festivities. We decided to meet, grab a beer and then head to the party.

When we got to the first bar, she seemed a little tipsy, but I didn’t pay much attention to it. She said she’d been drinking wine earlier, so that explained it.

We had a beer and went to the party bar. This is where things got interesting. As soon as we walked in, she went to the bathroom while I got beers and joined the party group. I am happy to see our old boss is not in attendance, so I sit down and relax. My friend doesn’t come back for a while, so eventually I go to look for her. She’s at the bar talking to some guy, so I give her the beer and don’t give it another thought.

A while later, she drift back into the group of people I’m talking to and I notice she’s flirting, pretty blatantly, with some guy. Again, par for the course, but it’s getting obvious she’s really drunk. Eventually she tells me she’s leaving, and we do the typical girl “Are you ok? Do you need me to call you a cab? Are you going home with that guy?” discussion. She assures me she’s fine, I talk to the guy and nothing about him yells serial-rapist-slasher, so she leaves.

I speak to her on Monday and she says she has no recollection of leaving the bar, but woke up fully clothed, wickedly hung over.

As the night goes on, I start talking to random guy who came to the party late and end up giving him my card before I leave.

Today he emails me. After a few exchanges, he says, “You’ll never believe what happened to my friend on Saturday.” He tells this horrible story how his friend went home with a girl who was throwing herself at him at the bar. She passed out in a cab, had to be carried into the apartment, woke up and began throwing herself at him and then, after about 10 minutes of making out she sat up, looked at him and began yelling to get out of her apartment. He got freaked out and left in a panic.

I’m sure you’ve already guessed the kicker – his friend went home with my old co-worker.

The best part – she dropped her phone when he was carrying her into the apartment so he put it in his pocket and forgot to give it back when she freaked out… so they have to see each other again in order for her to get the phone back.

Let this be a lesson to you – if you’re going to get drunk, take home a random and the flip out, make sure you’re not in the small world of DC… or prepare for others to find out the details of your night before you do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home