Monday, February 20, 2006

Saturation Point

Those who know me well will understand that this is a shocking occurence:

I turned down a cookie.

Not just any cookie, mind you, but a Safeway (ok, technically Dominick's, but it's the same store) cookie.

A few years ago, I started a tradition to make my grocery shopping more enjoyable. After browsing up and down all the aisles and trying to make healthy, affordable cuisine selections, I made a habit of cruising the bakery aisle and selecting one of the store's giant, soft and chewy chocolate chunk cookies. It didn't matter if I were shopping at 10 p.m. on a Wednesday evening or 10 a.m. on a Sunday morning--I couldn't leave without a treat to enjoy when I got home.

But tonight, as I walked by the bakery, the aroma of fresh-baked goodies wafting around me, I couldn't do it. I passed the cookie bin by.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Valentine's Day put me over the edge in sugar indulgences. Rob sent chocolates (that four of us made short work of in DC this weekend); my dad sent "steaks" (giant, homemade chocolate peanut butter bars, so named because my grandmother used to send them in Omaha Steak boxes); and I've been munching on a stash of Rolos and other goodies in the house. This afternoon, chatting with a classmate over lunch, I had a craving for ice cream, and we headed over to Cold Stone Creamery before our afternoon speaker. But then it was like a light switch was flipped--suddenly, as my father has been known to say, my dessert slot was full. No more room at the inn. For someone who never met a chocolate she didn't like, the desire was gone.

I'm actually hoping that maybe the cravings for sweets will subside for a few days and allow me to get back into a more healthy routine. In the meantime, I need only get over the complete shock that I actually wasn't hungry for something sweet. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home