Friday, February 10, 2006

The Wait is Over!

The Winter Olympics are back! Best Sixteen Days Ever!

Anyone who's known me for at least two years (don't get me started on the split Winter/Summer Olympiads) knows what this means - more than 2 full weeks of me bursting into tears at least once a night when the bobsledding from Estonia or the skeet shooter from Canada wins a medal and gets the have their national anthem played in their honor, in front of the whole world! And then there's the athlete profiles - forget it!

I know all the haters are saying things like "it's all so commercial," "look at all the dopers" and "these athletes aren't even amateurs." I'll tell you a little something - those complaints may all be true and the IOC and USOC may be corrupt, poorly run organizations and the judges may cheat and the snow may be fake, but the truth is - I DON'T CARE.

So what if some of the sports (skeleton?) look like they take no talent other than a total disregard for one's safety? Who cares if some of the sports (curling?) disappear for three and a half years, only to resurface as a punchline?

The bottom line is someone's winning a gold medal and stand on top of the podium as the best in the world.

I love the Olympics, now pass the tissues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home