Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Buoyant

I've discovered a new, surefire way to gauge how much weight I've gained: my buoyancy in the pool.

I used to swim a lot. I even got brave enough to do the the swim part of a triathlon a ways back. A pool workout, to me, was no big thing.

But I took a break--a loooong break. And when I got back in the pool today for the first time in almost a year and a half, well, I felt like I was FLOATING a whole lot more.

When I did a turn on the wall for the breaststroke, instead of lingering several feet below the surface for a few minutes, my body just rose right up on top of the water. What used to feel like cutting through the water felt more like bearing down on it.

Granted, I can write some of that off as being completely out of shape. But the extra buoyancy? My assumption is that the fat conent in my body has risen to the point that I would no longer need a floatation device, should I find myself stranded in the middle of the ocean. My body will do it for me.

Who knew! I think it's time to get back into shape. For REAL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home