Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Taking the Redeye

I didn't even notice it the first time my eyelids swelled up. The only symptom I noticed was that one day in December, the lids got all dry and peely. Like any good obsessive girl, I flaked the dead skin off and slathered the makeup on to cover up my peeling eyes.

But then New Year's came. We went out and I, as usual, applied a significant amount of eye goop--mascara, shadow, liner--and went out on the town. When we got home late that night, I managed in my inebriated state to wash the makeup off my face, but it seemed to hurt more than usual. When I woke the next morning to eyes that looked as though I had been in a prizefight the night before, I assumed I had simply scrubbed too hard in my drunken state.

The next week, my eyes were dry and peely again. A few days, when proper moisture levels had returned, I put on my face again, only to have my eyes swell up the same way.

At this point, I was beginning to suspect I had developed some kind of an allergy to my makeup. Unsure what the trigger was, I decided to take a month-long vacation from all things eye.

Finally, last week, I was ready to start reintroducing elements. I started with mascara. Then I added shadow--and voila! Instant George Foreman imitation.

What really pisses me off about the whole situation is that I LOVE makeup. I used to spend hours as a little girl at my mother's makeup counter, trying out her cosmetics. I let the older girl down the street slather my face with so much makeup that you needed a knife to scrape it off. I've always loved color and particularly playing up my eyes. Now, due to the red puffiness, instead of hearing remarks about my long, family-inherited lashes, I get questions like, "Are you all right? You look really tired today."

*Sigh.* Anyone know any good, hypo-allergenic brands?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home