Tuesday, October 31, 2006

And thank you for your support

After class yesterday, I ran into one of my professors--one of the few I have a more personal relationship with. He asked me about the job search process. Since he knows the guy I just turned down, I told him that I said no to the job.

In his professorly wisdom, he outlined the following points for me in the course of our conversation.

1. Multiple offers were rare, and often linear, not overlapping. I should check with career services to find out how many offers the average student gets.

2. Jobs in the area this company was offering to me were rare, particularly for a young white woman. They typically look to minorities to fill these positions. (He really said this to me.)

3. I should talk to career services to make sure my salary requirements were realistic.

4. I shouldn't factor location into my decision. Instead, I should ask for a small pay increase to use as a "slush fund" to travel.

5. I am only one of many students up for a job at one of the other big companies where I am interviewing. (And they only take good looking people, so I should be flattered they were talking to me. He said this jokingly, but it was still obnoxious.)

6. The amount of time I had asked to think mull over the job I was offered was far too long.

7. The VP was just playing coy with me, and I should have engaged him better in the negotiations.

8. Was there anything that would make me reconsider?

I tried to explain to him my reasoning, but he had no more understanding of my thoughts than the potential employer did. Most of all, I was irritated that he was trying to tell me to expect nothing more than the "average" student (who, I might add, has two to three years less experience than I do).

I know that really what this boils down to is that he looks bad to the company (he was my advisor) because I didn't take the job. And I'm sorry for that. An unintended consequence. But don't try to make me feel bad for a decision I've made that is going to completely affect my personal happiness.

Grrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home