Sunday, November 19, 2006

Goodbye, Washington

Goodbye, Washington.

Goodbye, monuments and museums. Goodbye tourists and cherry blossoms and softball games played out in greatness in the shadows of great men.

Goodbye, clean, wide streets and happy hours filled with passionate political debate. Goodbye republicans and democrats and devious stories of political machinations.

Goodbye, crazy drivers, sitting in traffic, stuck in an endless loop of belt. Cursing at your neighbors and edging up, bumper to bumper, to assert your claim to the line.

Goodbye, metro riders, half asleep and crammed crankily together like so many sardines. Goodbye, angry commuters and grouchy bus riders, aggressive walkers stomping up Connecticut to your droning destination.

Goodbye, fireworks show on the bank of the Potomac. Goodbye, showers of sparks raining down over the city like thousands of twinkling, colorful stars, seen from rooftops and balconies around the region.

Goodbye, quaint neighborhoods with your distinct personalities. Goodbye to the market and the circle and the Hill. Goodbye ghettos and burbs; goodbye shops and bars and streets lined with trees and people and life that carries on around you without your knowledge.

Goodbye, friends, comrades in the fight to grow up and yet stay young forever. Goodbye to the family that evolved for a girl so far from home, who loved her and dried her tears and held her hand and told her to be brave.

Goodbye, love, the waves that wore different faces with different smiles and yet wove similar tales that ended in both heartbreak and strength.

Goodbye, my heart, the dream of a life that never quite fit but gave me warmth and a brief flicker of true happiness.

Goodbye, embrace, that held me strong and cheered me on and told me I could do anything my heart desired. That pushed me in the direction I needed to go but could not admit. That ultimately loved me more than I ever knew.

Goodbye, Washington. Goodbye to the city that was a sanctuary, a place of respite. A shelter from my fears of both failure and success. You’ve taught me not to hide from either.

Goodbye, home. Though I can no longer tie my heart to you, you will always have a place there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home