Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Interviews are FUN

So I've been an interviewing fiend lately. Fortunately, it's one of those things for which practice truly does help make perfect. The more you sit in the hot seat, the better you get at really sounding polished. After a while, you start to hear the same questions over and over again...

Tell me about a team environment where you faced conflict. How did you handle it? What role did you play?

What kind of a leader are you?

What are your career goals?

I would love to sit in on one of those interviews that is so off the wall, so random, that you leave scratching your head thinking, "what was that about?"

My SVP this summer says he likes to give his interviewees legos. He tells them to build something and then explain what they built and why.

A friend of mine went into an interview and was asked if she was nervous. When she said no, the interviewer (a senior exec with the company) told her she must not want the job.

Another interview situation I heard of in which all the candidates knew each other, the interviewer asked each one which of their co-interviewees should be hired.

Of course, I know these are tame compared to some of the random questions out there. Here's a sample of some strange ones I found online:

* Imagine I am blind. Describe blue to me.
* What is the temperature when it’s twice as cold as zero degrees?
* How many times a day do a clock’s hands overlap?
* How many piano tuners are there in the United States?
* A lily pad doubles in size every day. If on the 60th day the pond is totally covered with the lily pad, on what day is the pond half covered?
* How can, say, five people, who do not necessarily trust each other divide a pie so that everyone receives an equal share?
* I have a lawn mowing business that I want to sell to your client. How would you advise your client about how to value the business for purchase?
* How would Donald Trump avoid being disturbed at night by a wrong number? How can you use that information to design a solution accessible to consumers without such resources?
* Design a spice rack for a blind person.

Personally, I like the "blue" question, though I think that one would trip me up the most. I'd probably yammer on about describing it in terms of sensation rather than visuals (i.e., cool, refreshing). Is there a right way to do it?

Anyone else have fun interview questions they've experienced or had themselves?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home