Monday, November 13, 2006

Para what?

I took a walk today along the lake, and I saw the weirdest thing. At first, I just saw it above the treeline, and I didn't think much of it. But as I kept walking, it hit me that the colorful fabric billowing in the wind ahead was an open sail--kind of like one you'd see attached to someone parasailing.

Parasailing? On Lake Michigan? In NOVEMBER?

As I got closer, I realized it wasn't a parasailor but a parasurfer. The waves were pretty choppy--not good by typical surfer standards (it is a lake, after all), but strong enough to give him something to work with. The wind was strong and gusty, and he was cruising right along, first in toward the shore and then back out again to deeper water. At one point, he lost control of his sail and in he went, head under the water.

I can't possibly imagine how cold that must be.

I mean, I'm sure he was wearing a wetsuit and plenty of clothing that would keep him warm. But the air temperature was a balmy 40 degrees when I left the house for my walk--and I'm 8 blocks in from the water, protected slightly from the harsh Chicago wind.

As for the water, I looked it up. It's right around the 47 degree neighborhood. I'm pretty sure that's not a temperature I would ever want to swim in, wet suit or no. If there is a chance my head is going under, I can guarantee I am not going in. No polar bear swimmers here.

But this guy seemed absolutely unfazed. In fact, it was almost hypnotic to watch him steer slowly toward the shore, pulling tightly on the cords to the sail dancing above, come about and then steer out again, working against the waves. There must be something calming about the sound of air rushing around you, gliding on top of the water and buoyed by the wind.

Then again, it certainly wouldn't be calming to fall into a bucket of ice water. Maybe that risk is part of the draw? Either way, it takes a little crazy to head out to the water in this kind of weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home