Thursday, December 07, 2006

Comcast is the Devil

I don't think I've ever had a more passionate dislike for company. We're talking fire of a thousand suns level dislike.

I first had problems with them when I was living in Virginia. I don't remember the details of the disagreement, but I do remember numerous frustrating calls with customer service representatives. At one point, the calls got so heated that they sent me over to the guy you talk to who doesn't want to "lose your business." We made it through that particular crisis.

But now... This one, I don't know if I can get over.

So when we moved into our last house in Evanston, we got digital cable. One of our housemates really wanted a DVR, but they were asking me for an $80 deposit, so I said no. Finally, a few months later, I gave in. The cable guy came out and swapped our digital box for a DVR box. End of story.

Except it wasn't. Because apparently the tech did one of two things:

1. Failed to file the paperwork that said the digital box came back.
2. Stole the damn thing outright.

I wasn't at home the day he swapped the boxes, so I didn't sign for it, one of my roommates did. And now, two moves later, I cannot find the work order receipt. And Comcast, the wonderful, family-friendly company it is, is convinced I am trying to screw them out of a digital box I don't have (and have NOT had for almost 8 months).

The customer service rep on the phone today had very little useful information for me--simply that they are doing "research" to find out what happened to the box. I asked her what the implications for me were. She said they were doing "research" to find out what happened to the box. I told her I know, I understood what she said, but what was going to happen if they couldn't find it. She said I was liable for it.

At this point, I lost it. She kept asking me if I had my receipt that showed the tech took it away, and I told her I didn't, that I'd moved twice since then. I asked her why they didn't have the receipt--since it is always a duplicate copy. She then explained to me that they have millions of customers and cannot keep track of all the paperwork.

Excuse me?? Isn't that your BUSINESS to keep track of your customers???

I hate this company. I hate that a cable man can come and rip me off and I can't do a damn thing about it. I hate that they are so disorganized and anti-customer that they can't even keep track of work that is being done on individual accounts. Wouldn't there be a record in their system that they brought out a DVR?? She seemed to be oblivious to this.

I especially hate that this giant, incompetent company has a virtual monopoly on cable and Internet services in most cities. There is not a viable alternative here, just Comcast, and if you don't like them... too bad.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home