Thursday, August 30, 2007

From the files of "Only In Dallas"

Continuing a trend from yesterday's post. There's never a shortage of Texas/Dallas quirks, I suppose.

When I drive to work in the morning, my route takes me through the edge of Highland Park. For those not familiar with Dallas, Highland Park is the part of Dallas so ritzy that they didn't even want to be part of Dallas, so they incorporated themselves. We're talking median home price of $1.6 mill and cop cars that are actually navy SUVs instead of small, white sedans.

It was actually just such an SUV that gave me a start this morning. As I pulled up to a red light at an intersection, I noticed the signature vehicle parked at the light going the other way. Because this particular intersection is at an angle and on a hill, I had a perfect view in through the driver's side window to the officer behind the wheel.

The officer was a woman and wearing some kind of uncollared, sleeveless tank top. Now, I have nothing against anyone opting for cool, especially in the Texas heat. But it was a very mixed message--big, formal police car; incredibly informal, soccer mom-looking driver. Wouldn't you want your police officers to look, I don't know, meaner?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home