Monday, September 17, 2007

Denim D'oh

I've always been something of a frugal shopper. I can't help myself--whenever I walk into a store, I immediately gravitate toward sales racks and deals. I am enormously susceptible to sticker shock, which leads me to set strange limitations of what I will and won't pay for a particular piece of clothing. (One of my quirky rules: Tank tops and other shirts with a smaller quantity of fabric just should never be more than $50.)

This, of course, makes my more fashion-conscious friends nuts, as it tends to restrict on my fashion-forward potential. They argue that pieces you invest in last longer; I insist they underestimate my terrible laundering skills.

About a month ago, however, I made a decision to take a plunge and invest in a nice pair of denim jeans. I was frustrated with how the jeans I was buying (I don't think I've ever spent more than $40 for a pair) were losing their shape or simply unflattering on my body. My hope was that a nicer pair would solve both problems.

When I was in New York last month, I asked my travel buddy, JB, to help me pick out a pair of premium denim jeans. She has a phenomenal fashion instinct, and so she was more than happy to help me evaluate the different brands, cuts and fits. We hit Bloomingdales and I must have tried on 10 different pairs--and I hated them all. I felt extremely uncomfortable and gross. We tried several other stores and my feeling was still the same. (Not to mention, looking at the $150+ price tag gave me heartburn.)

But I wasn't ready to abandon my denim quest. I started researching options in Dallas for where I could go to find a custom fit. Turns out, work had the solution for me.

As part of my recent business trip to brainstorm new products, we were working with a company that helps you understand and process consumer trends and then to build solutions within your industry around those areas. Fodder for ideation comes from direct consumer experience, and they planned elaborate consumer visits for us. One of the visits for my team included a trip to a premium denim store. They offered to front cash for a willing guinea pig who wouldn't mind being fitted and then allow the rest of the team to essentially stare at his/her posterior during the fitting.

How could I not volunteer??

The salesman who fit me had a complete knack for picking out not only the appropriate size but also a flattering cut and fit. Though the first pair I tried on (which he picked out for me) made me squirm, the longer I spent in them, the better they felt. And pair after pair started to convey to me how jeans REALLY should feel when you wear them.

At the end of the session, the biggest problem I had was deciding which pair to get... so I ended up getting TWO, my freebie and one I shelled out my own cash for. I justified the purchase by saying that since I got two, the total cost was amortized across both, giving me a real cost savings.

The real test, of course, will come in the weeks and months to come: Can premium denim REALLY sustain the Sarah test??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home